July 15, 2011

196: Harry

via We Heart It
It's a little strange, thinking that the whole Harry Potter experience is (for the most part) over now.  I got the first three books for my thirteenth birthday, so when Goblet of Fire (the book) came out, Harry and I were the same age.  (Of course, by the time Deathly Hallows was published, I had outpaced Harry and was in college, while the boy wizard was only seventeen.)  I think reading the series was a bonding experience for my generation.  I remember being at a family reunion the day Order of the Phoenix came out, and my cousin Kaylyn and I were both sitting on the couch, voraciously reading while everyone else socialized and ate.  We weren't interacting, but we were sharing the Potter experience.

When I got to college, my very first class on my very first day was a freshman seminar called "Harry Potter and the French Connection."  The professor was essentially a real-life Dumbledore for the eighteen of us in that class; he led us through early modern alchemical texts and gave us an assignment that essentially amounted to writing Potter fanfiction.  We all went to the Goblet of Fire midnight movie screening together, with matching homemade T-shirts that were only funny to us.  Also, I met two of my best friends in that class.

So, I could say more, but I think I'll let the found graphic speak for itself:
via We Heart It
(Thanks, Jo, for everything.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment