March 4, 2011

063: Moving up in the world

Good things come with bullet points:
  • I must have done something right over the last year or so.  The last time I applied for a credit card, I was rejected for a lack of credit history.  Prior to that, Target demanded I give them everything but a DNA swab just to get a store card -- which I didn't.  Kohl's did give me a card...with a $300 limit.  Yesterday,  I finally got approved for my first real credit card.  Does this mean I'm definitely a grown-up now?
  • Twin Citians and western-suburb-dwellers, I recommend Cooper Irish Pub in the West End complex in St. Louis Park; I got lunch for less than $9, tip included, and the food (fish & chips) was darn good.  My high school buddy Emily got a quinoa salad, also delicious, for not much more than I paid.  Also?  Free underground parking FTW.  Cooper is the suburban sibling to my old downtown haunt, Kieran's, which has also spiffed up its food since moving to the new location.  Tasty!
  • Costco, in addition to having the cheapest gas in town, was selling Much Ado About Nothing for $6.99 today.  How could I not buy it?  Fun fact about that movie: I watched it after I read the play and just before we were going to discuss it in my utterly useless Shakespeare intro class my sophomore year of college.  The class was taught by a professor who was all but senile, and probably should have retired about a decade ago.  He always had us read the plays aloud and attempted to direct us, as though it were a real production, rather than a bunch of undergrads sitting in a circle, slowly dying on the inside.  I was assigned the part of Beatrice, did my very best Emma Thompson impression, and the old fool thought I was the BEST ACTRESS HE'D EVER SEEN.  It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever experienced.  So thanks, Emma Thompson, for making it easy.
  • Did I mention it's Friday?  TGIF.

0 comments:

Post a Comment